When the full story is not visible, click on a headline to read more.
- 21-Day Race Equity Challenge
Derry Church has begun its 21-day Race Equity Challenge. We invite you to join us as we read, watch, listen, and reflect on issues of race and racism in this country and how we can be a force for antiracism in our community and world.
Each day our pastors are adding their reflections on what they've read and observed. Find those links in the sidebar on the 21-day Race Equity Challenge page. Please do sign up and let us know you're participating.
You can also join a new Facebook group where we're reading and discussing Anxious to Talk About It: Helping White Christians Talk Faithfully about Racism by Carolyn B. Helsel.
- On June 21, Pastor Candidating and a Congregational Meeting Like No Other
Rev Pam Meilands is the candidate nominated by our Associate Pastor Nominating Committee to be our Associate Pastor for Youth and Families. On Sunday, June 21, Derry Church welcomes Rev Meilands to preach and help lead our live streaming worship service. Following live stream worship, Derry members will have the opportunity to participate in an online congregational meeting, ask questions by phone or email, and vote using an online form that will be sent by email on June 20. Carlisle Presbytery is aware of our plans and has approved of the process since we are not able to gather in person at this time.
- Celebrate Communion During Live Stream Worship this Sunday
Gather your family, your bread or crackers, your juice or wine and you'll be ready for worship on Sunday, June 7. This week's service includes the sacrament of the Lord's Supper. Live streaming begins at 10:30 am, and communion will take place after Pastor Stephen's sermon.
Say these words as you pass the elements to family members, or as you partake:
"The bread of heaven" and "The cup of salvation."
The next opportunity for communion will be as part of the Tuesday worship from the Chapel on June 16.
- By the Bookshelf, Week #5
Join Pastor Stephen McKinney-Whitaker for the next 33 minutes as he talks about the new reality the church finds itself in, and the decisions that need to be made.
- Zoom Trivia Night on June 28
7 pm Sunday, June 28 • Zoom Meeting ID in the eNews or email Pastor Stephen
Gather everyone in your home to join your team as we gather on Zoom to play trivia (and eat or drink as you are inclined). Pastor Stephen will be our trivia host, so plan to join us and show offyour knowledge or lack thereof! Keep in mind NO internet searching will be allowed. The top three teams will win a prize. Get ready for Sunday fun and laughs! RSVP required.
- Zoom Infectious Diseases: COVID-19 with Dr John Messmer
7 pm Monday, June 15 • Meeting ID in the eNews or email Sue George
Last December, Dr. Messmer led an Issues Class on Infectious Diseases. In light of the worldwide pandemic, Dr Messmer invites you to join him on Zoom for an update and a chance to ask questions and participate in a discussion on what we need to know about the novel coronavirus.
- Blondie Says Thank You
For the cards, calls, prayers, meals and support these past weeks, Blondie Ferguson says thank you and appreciates the love and care she received from the Derry Church family.
- Pentecost Offering
The Pentecost Offering is traditionally received on the day of Pentecost (June 9). It provides a direct way to meet the needs of children at risk, youth, and young adults. In addition, 40% of this offering can be kept by individual congregations for use in their own communities.Derry has designated Family Promise of Harrisburg Capital Region (FPHCR) as this year’s recipient. The remaining 60% will be used for leadership development opportunities for Presbyterian youth and young adults and support for children-at-risk programs at the national level. Since 1998, Presbyterians of all ages have raised more than $8 million for these ministries that benefit younger members of God’s family. You can contribute online or mail checks to Derry Church notated "Pentecost Offering."
- Restock Love INC's Personal Care Closet with These Most-Needed Items
- Liquid dish detergent
- Multi-purpose cleaning agent
- Hand soap
- Gender-neutral body wash
Drop off at church or across the street at the Love INC office. Thanks, Derry!
Did You Know?Food Bank Sunday on the second Sunday of every month is the designated day to drop off non-perishable foods for the Hershey Food Bank... but donations are accepted any time: find collection baskets/containers at our main entrances. Here's a list of the Hershey Food Bank's most-needed items.
CancellationsHere's a list of events that are now cancelled:
- Co-ed church softball season
- Vacation Bible School
- Church picnic postponed until fall
- Children's musical postponed until fall
- Summer mission trip for middle school youth
- Dominican Republic Mission Trip in June