Discovery Days Preschool
Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. And Jesus took the children in his arms, put his hands on them and blessed them. Matthew 19:13-15
An outreach ministry serving young children ages one through five years old
Open September through May
Meets Monday through Thursday at Derry Church, Hershey, PA
At Derry Discovery Days preschool, we consider it a privilege to care for your children, surrounding them with God's love as they discover the world around them, make new friends, create and play. Our goal is to provide a value-based program that helps children gain positive social, emotional, intellectual and physical experiences.
Please note the change in calendar for the 2020-21 school year. Due to lateness of Labor Day 2020, DDD will begin before Labor Day this school year to be more in line with the adjusted public school calendar year. We will continue to operate on a 38-week schedule, ending on May 20, 2021.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Ladybug 1's and Turtle 2's classes have been cancelled for 2020-21.
Three years old & potty trained by Sept. 1
9-11:30 am Monday & Wednesday (2 days)
9-11:30 am Tuesday & Thursday (2 days)
9-11:30 am Monday through Thursday (4 days)
Four or five years old & potty trained by Sept.1
9-11:30 am Monday-Thursday mornings (4 days)
12:30-3 pm Monday-Thursday afternoons (4 days)
COMMUNICATION WITH PARENTS
- “Strengthen a parent…and you strengthen a child.” Mr. Rogers
- Open and informed communication is essential for your child's successful development at Derry Discovery Days. We achieve this by informing parents about our routines and objectives.
- The staff is available to meet with parents after school hours. Appointments appreciated.
- Newsletters keep parents informed and updated on all events and activities.
- Parents are welcome to observe their child's daily routine. Should parents have concerns regarding the health and safety of their child, please discuss these issues with the Discovery Days Director, Kelly Mehaffie. The staff welcomes suggestions and ideas. We truly appreciate the parental support given to the program!
- Questions? Contact Kelly Mehaffie, Director
Snow delays and closings will be posted here.
Forms & Information
2019-20 Parent Handbook
2019-20 Fees & Tuition
DHS Child Health Report
Nondiscrimination in Services
Giant A+ School Rewards
Photo Release Form
General Emergency Procedures
Pet Therapy Permission Form
Hand Sanitizer Permission
2020-21 Dates of Interest
Aug 27 (11 am-12 pm, 6-7 pm) Meet teachers/visit rooms
Sept 7 No classes: Labor Day
Sept 8 First day of preschool
Oct 12 No classes: Columbus Day
Nov 3 No classes: Election Day
Nov 7 Fall Family Festival/Silent Auction (10am-12pm)
Oct-Nov School Photos with Colleen & Co (TBA)
Nov 23-30 No classes: Thanksgiving break
Dec 10 Busy Bee & Butterfly program (10:45 am)
Dec 23-Jan 1 No classes: Christmas break
Jan Preschool vision screenings (TBA)
Jan 18 No classes: Martin Luther King Day
Feb 15 No classes: Presidents’ Day
Feb 17 Family Ash Wednesday service 9:15 am
Mar 15 No classes: Inservice Day
Mar 31-Apr 5 No classes: Holy Week/Easter
May TBA No classes: Election Day
May 6 Busy Bee & Butterfly program (10:45 am)
May 11 Class picnics, weather permitting
May 20 Last day of school
May 24-27 TENTATIVE: Summer Camp (Butterfly 4/5's)
Up to two in-service days to be determined
Weather-Related Delays & Cancellations
DDD follows Derry Township School District for weather-related delays and closings. When the school district has a 1- or 2-hour delay, DDD morning classes will be held 10am-12 pm, afternoon classes 1-3pm. When the school district dismisses early, DDD WILL NOT have afternoon classes