When the full story is not visible, click on a headline to read more.
- 20th Annual Chili Cook-off & Square Dance
6:30-9:30 pm Friday, Feb 22 in Fellowship Hall. There's no better way to warm up a winter's night! Bring a dish to pass: your favorite salad, dessert or chili recipe. Informal judging determines winners in the chili and dessert categories. Cornbread provided. Be sure to bring your dancing shoes: following the meal, join the fun by participating in a variety of line and square dances. Free! Invite your friends and neighbors. Hosted by the Membership & Involvement Committee.
- January 2019 Financial Snapshot
Cash Flow - Operating Fund as of 12/31/18
Actual Budgeted Income YTD $1,308,351 $1,243,415 Expenses YTD $1,233,953 $1,265,087 Surplus (Deficit) YTD $74,398 ($21,672)
Contributions ended the year $50k over prior year and $50k over budget. Committee expenses were $43k over prior year but $31k under budget. The 2018 surplus was $74,398, resulting in a positive undesignated net asset balance of $76,850. Questions? Contact Steven Guenther, treasurer.
- Friday Evening Women's Group: Jan 18
7-10 pm Fri Jan 18 in room 7. The New Year is an opportunity for reflection and renewal. Using the book Gracelaced as our guide, join a discussion on resting in God's power. Then we'll find time for rest through the art of Zentangle, a relaxing and fun way to create art with repeated patterns. This art method will allow us the opportunity to rest our minds and find renewal in God's Word. All women welcome as we gather to read, reflect, relax and connect.
- No Joke: You Can Watch it Here
On the past two Sundays, there were technical issues viewing the "No Joke Project" DVD in Issues Class. Those interested in viewing the video for the class led by Pastor Stephen can check out these links:
- Mission Statement Reflections: Al PorterElder Al Porter writes: The Worship and Spiritual Life Committee reviewed the Proposed Mission and Vision Statements at its December and January meetings. The committee members are in agreement with both statements. In particular, I am in agreement with, and think that most members of our congregation would be in agreement with, the statement, to paraphrase Tim Keller’s article on justice, that, as a church, it is our mission to defend and aid the most vulnerable members of society, those people with the least economic, social, and political power, and to treat all people with fairness, generosity, equity, and honesty in our relationships.
Proposed Mission Statement:
We proclaim God's word, share God's love, and practice God's justice.
Proposed Vision Statement:
To be an inquiring, inviting, and inclusive Christ-centered community.
- You're Invited: Women's Retreat 2019
Mar 29-31 at Chubb Hotel & Conference Center, Lafayette, PA
This year we've been invited to join the women of Westminster Presbyterian Church in West Chester for their 2019 women’s retreat (where former member Lynn George is on staff). The weekend opens with dinner on Friday night and concludes with worship led by their pastors on Sunday morning. We’re done by noon Sunday, brunch optional. Double occupancy rate is $245. All food is included: no need to bring snacks this year! This event has been endorsed by our Christian Education Committee. Read more and sign up online or download a brochure. Questions? Contact Sue George.
- Discovery Days Seeks New Board Members
Derry Discovery Days Preschool (DDD) is seeking Derry Church members for its Board. The ideal candidate will have a finance background, but this is not required. The Board meets at the church on the second Monday of each month from 9-11am. Church Board members serve a three-year term. For more information, contact Kelly Mehaffie.
- New at Derry Church: Scouting for Girls Troop 2200
- Nine-Year-Old Alaskan Girl Featured on the Presbyterian Mission Website Has a Derry Connection
Recently the Presbyterian Mission website posted this heartwarming story about the granddaughter of Derry members Ron and Ann Geist who found a way to support Presbyterian mission co-workers in Germany. Many of you will know and remember the Geist's son Marcus, who's the proud dad in the story.
- Coats for Kids
Coats for Cocoa is an annual event which distributes winter coats to economically disadvantaged children within the Derry Township School District. Each October there has been an increase in the number of coats that have been provided to students. Last year they ran short of adult sized coats needed for older boys and girls. With winter coats on clearance, now is a great time to donate warm coats of any size. Hang the coats you wish to donate in the designated Narthex closet closest to the elevator between now and Feb 28. Thanks, Derry!
- Mission & Peace January Funding Report
At its January meeting, the Mission and Peace Committee approved funding for the following four organizations:
- Christ Lutheran Church: $4771 from the Christmas Joy Offering and $5205 from our 2019 budget to completely fund installation of a chairlift for handicapped access to their medical clinic
- YWCA: $2000 for programs promoting justice and empowering women; Stop the Violence, $2500 for programs supporting their community food and clothing banks and after-school programs for youth in Harrisburg
- L.I.F.E.: $1000 to support the work of their local prison ministry of Leading Inmates in Faith and Education.
- The Christmas Joy Offering raised $9542! Half was used for the chair lift at Christ Lutheran and the other half was sent to PCUSA in support of emergency funding programs for retired church staff and support of our racial/ethnic colleges.
Thank you, Derry, for your generous support of these mission needs.
- Orange Day is Friday, Jan 25
Orange Day is focused on calling attention to the exploitation of women and girls and supporting those who are working to end the injustices. One red flag for children in caught in human trafficking is a sudden friendship with an older female or a boyfriend. The YWCA recommends parents stay social media savvy to help prevent grooming and recruitment. Traffickers can be boyfriends, parents, husbands or drug traffickers. The Harrisburg area is known for trafficking along the I-81 and I-83 corridors. The human trafficking hotline is 1-800-654-1211. Wear orange or an orange ribbon on Jan 25 to show your support of the YWCA's work to inform the public of the problem and preventive measures.
- Welcome Steve Miller to the Church Staff!
January 6 was Steve's first day as our new Sunday morning Sexton. He will monitor the security cameras in the office and handle any maintenance issues that arise. Steve says, "I am thrilled to have the opportunity to serve the church. I grew up in Hershey and have two children. My interests include sports, magic, and making people laugh! I look forward to helping the church out in any way I can. God never said the journey would be easy, but God did say the arrival would be worthwhile!"
- Paint Night Youth Fundraiser A Big Success!
Thanks to Luke and Liz Gawron for instructing the group, for fantastic youth hosts and for everyone who participated. $590 was raised in support of youth trips this year.
- Info Session Will Cover Proposed Bylaw Changes
11:30 am Sunday, Jan 20 in the Chapel
At the annual meeting on Sunday, Feb 3, the congregation will vote on Session’s proposed changes to Derry Church's bylaws. These changes will amend the bylaws to better reflect current church practice, coincide with current Book of Order Language, and reduce the number of Elders on Session.
This information session is a great opportunity to learn about all the proposed changes to the church by-laws and ask questions. Read more about the changes and review the proposed bylaws... paper copies also available at the information center. Questions? Contact Pastor Stephen or Kathy Yingst, Clerk of Session.
Did You Know?
Food Bank Sunday on the second Sunday of every month is the designated day to drop off non-perishable foods for the Hershey Food Bank... but donations are accepted any time: find collection baskets/containers at our main entrances. Here's a list of the Hershey Food Bank's most-needed items.