When the full story is not visible, click on a headline to read more.
- Today/Tonight: One More Isaac's Fundraiser!
10 am - 9 pm Thursday, Mar 21 at Isaac's Restaurant in Hummelstown
Can we beat the February total of $243 for school scholarships for Presbyterian Education Board students in Pakistan? Let’s find out! Bring this form along with your friends and family and enjoy a delicious meal -- last chance in 2019!
- March 2019 Financial Snapshot
Cash Flow - Operating Fund as of 2/28/19
Actual Budgeted Income YTD $231,476 $214,106 Expenses YTD $269,256 $208,076 Surplus (Deficit) YTD ($37,780) $6,030
Mission & Peace moved some of their expense to earlier in the year, and per-capita and insurance were paid for the year in February. Questions? Contact Steven Guenther, treasurer.
- One-Minute Answers to Your Important Questions: Third in a Series
This week Pastor Stephen takes less than a minute to answer a new question raised by a recent church officer survey: can the post worship fellowship food be less fancy?
- $10,000 Grant Received from the Stabler Foundation
At a meeting of the Board of Directors of The Donald B. and Dorothy L. Stabler Foundation held last month, a grant in the amount of $10,000 was approved for Derry Church to be used for repointing our historic bell tower. The work on this $34,000 project to repair and restore a portion of the Chapel's masonry will begin this spring.
- Krislund Camp 2019 Summer Registration Open
- Kids to Krislund Fundraising Dinner & Auction: Apr 28
3-6 pm Sunday, April 28 at the Krislund Camp RC (Recreation Center)
Join us at Krislund Camp for an afternoon of fun and fellowship as we raise money to fund our "Campership" program, which provides financial assistance to those campers who might otherwise not be able to experience Krislund. The afternoon starts with a reception at 3 pm, followed by a delicious home-cooked meal and auction featuring unique items from local craftspeople. $50/person or $100/couple. RSVP to email@example.com or call (814) 422-8878 by April 20.
- New Member Classes Begin April 28
9:15 am Sunday, Apr 28 in the Lounge • Repeated 6-7 pm Wednesdays beginning May 1Meet church staff and leaders and find out more about the mission and ministry of Derry Church and how you can get involved. Those who decide to join will be received as members at the 10:30 am service on Sunday, May 26. Register by Wednesday, Apr 24 (717-533-9667).
- 11th Annual Mission Classic: June 1
8 am Saturday, June 1 at Deer Valley Golf Course, HummelstownThis four-person scramble offers lots of contests. If you don’t have a foursome, sign up and we’ll make a group for you. Proceeds will benefit the Hershey Food Bank and Community Outreach which provides for those who are in need of food and household items throughout the Hershey area. Download a brochure.
- Easter Sunday, April 21 at Derry Church
8 am worship includes music by Frances Mohler, soprano.
Children will help to lead the 9:30 am service.
Music at 9:30 and 11 am will feature soloists Frances Mohler, Sara Woodbury, and Julie Miller along with brass musicians, Bob Nowak on percussion, and the Derry Ringers.
Pianist Mary Lemons and cellist Mike Klucker will take part in all three services.
All services are held in the Sanctuary. No church school classes today. The 11 am service can be viewed online.
Easter Breakfast 8:30-11 am in Fellowship Hall
On the menu: pancakes and sausage, egg casserole, fruit, juice and coffee. Donation benefits missions.
Early risers, check out the annual sunrise service, 6:30-8 am at the Hershey Gardens. This service is sponsored by the Hershey Ministerium.
- Check it Out: "Questions for Lent" on Facebook
It's not too late to drop in and participate in Derry’s new Facebook group Questions for Lent. A new question is posted by 6:30 am each day now through Easter. Add your comments to the conversation and read what others have to say. Each week’s questions revolve around a key theme. This week's theme is Go... starting Sunday the theme will be Confess. To participate, click on Questions for Lent and ask to join. If you've participated in our previous Advent or Gratitude groups, you're automatically approved. We hope you'll join us on this community-building Lenten journey.
- Worship on Good Friday
7 pm Friday, April 19 in the Sanctuary
Join us as we gather at the foot of the cross to worship our crucified savior. We will look back at the book of Jonah we’ve explored throughout Lent and how it intersects with the Passion of Christ. This service will offer opportunities to reflect on the message of Jonah and the cross and participate in putting things in our own lives to death, so that they may be resurrected to new life. This service will be live streamed on YouTube and the church website.
- Maundy Thursday Worship
7 pm Thursday, Apr 18 in the Sanctuary
Hear the Passion story in a worship service led by children who are participating in this year’s Children & Sacraments class. Celebrate the sacrament of the Lord’s supper and reflect on Jesus’ last supper. The communion bread that will be served will be made by the children. Worship will also include scripture, hymns and a sermon ... then watch as the chancel is stripped of all the familiar Christian symbols before you leave the Sanctuary in silence. This service will be live streamed on YouTube and the church website.
You're invited to walk the labyrinth in Fellowship Hall before or after this service, or on Friday, April 19 during the day or before or after the 7 pm Good Friday service.
- Coin Return on Sunday
Remember to bring your Change 4 Children coins with you to church on March 17 to be collected at the end of morning worship. Change 4 Children goes to Alliance for Children Everywhere which believes education is an integral part of the commitment to support healthy and sustainable families and communities.Do you have foreign coins that you no longer need? Bag those separately and they’ll be donated to UNICEF's Change For Good by Derry member and American Airlines pilot Brian Montgomery.Return your coins in Ziploc bags to the designated baskets. Please make sure that your bag is free of paper clips, guitar picks, stray bits of metal, buttons, and anything that isn’t legal tender: these items clog the coin sorting machine. The next collection will be in June, so keep on gathering those coins.
- Why Do We Have Post-Worship Fellowship Every Week?
In less than a minute, Pastor Stephen answers a new question raised by a recent church officer survey: Why do we have post-worship fellowship every week?
- February 2019 Session Highlights
- Ratified a motion made via e-mail on January 20 to hire Dan Stokes in the position of Interim Music Director.
- Accepted with regret the resignation of Ruling Elder Michael Anderson.
- Approved baptismal Instruction and infant baptism for Greta Lynn Honstad, daughter of Katelyn and Chris Honstad. Two adult baptisms were also approved: Corinna Webber (baptized February 24, 2019) and Jessica Petrozziello (baptism to occur outside in the spring).
- Reviewed the annual Statistical Report.
- Approved several building use requests from: the Susquehanna Chorale (April/May 2020), AA for a regional meeting (May 4, 2019), and The Foundation for Enhancing Communities on March 21 for a kindergarten transition conference.
- Approved the wedding application of Tara Logan and Mark Williams for September 26, 2019.
- At the request of the Communications & Technology committee, the session received for a first reading a Capital Procurement Requisition to contract with L&H Signs for up to three conceptual signage designs to replace/update Derry’s outdoor signage. Elders were asked to review the request with their various committees. Approval of the initiative will be brought for a vote at the March stated meeting.
- At the request of the Mission & Peace Committee, approval was given to screen the film entitled “Warehoused” on June 6, 2019. The documentary addresses problems faced by long-term refugees.
- A request from the Christian Education Committee to solicit and collect donations from the congregation for fleece blankets was approved.
- Derry Discovery Days’ request to hold a fundraiser rummage sale was approved. The date for this event will be coordinated with the church office.
- The Personnel Committee presented for approval a Position Description for the full-time position of Director of Music. After discussing a few revisions, the Position Description was approved.
- Held the annual meeting of the Board of Trustees for The Derry Presbyterian Church, Inc. during which time the following officers were elected: Dennis Hosler, President; Bob Good, Vice President. Kathy Yingst, Clerk of Session and Stephen Guenther, Church Treasurer were affirmed ex officio as Secretary and Treasurer of the Corporation, respectively.
- Received and welcomed the following new members at a Called meeting on February 24: Corinna Webber, Jessica Petrozziello (pending her baptism), Carmine Petrozziello, Gloriana Barkanic, Tara Logan, Paige Madden, Linda Schaeffer, Clinton & Christina Simmons (pending their reaffirmation of faith on March 24), Jeff & Katrina Vatter, Kay Hock, and Richard Lee Webber.
Did You Know?
Food Bank Sunday on the second Sunday of every month is the designated day to drop off non-perishable foods for the Hershey Food Bank... but donations are accepted any time: find collection baskets/containers at our main entrances. Here's a list of the Hershey Food Bank's most-needed items.