When the full story is not visible, click on a headline to read more.
- Organ Information Sessions
Following worship on Sunday, Oct 27: 8 am in the Chapel • 10:30 am in the Sanctuary
The Organ Task Force (OTF) invites you to learn why now may be the best time to acquire a new organ for Derry Church. In our search for a new Director of Music, it has become clear that our organ is a barrier to highly qualified applicants because it is no more than functional for playing and leading a choir.
The OTF is charged with presenting options to Session for a replacement organ. They have talked with several organ builders, who have explained our current organ’s deficiencies and why it is not the right instrument for our remodeled sanctuary. Next Sunday, Dan Stokes and members of the OTF will share details and present a few options for excellent refurbished historical organs that better suit our needs.
As we approach our 300th anniversary and look to the long-term future of Derry, we encourage you to attend and learn why it may be time to make this investment in our worship and music ministry. If you cannot attend and would like to learn more, please reach out to Dan Stokes or Pastor Stephen.
Watch for an informational video coming next week.
- Stewardship Update #2
- Derry Seniors' Schedule Change
The date for the annual JOY luncheon has changed to Sunday, Dec 8, and after the 12 pm luncheon, attendees will enjoy a Christmas carol sing.
- Join the PW Bible Study
7 pm Monday, Oct 28 in the John Elder Classroom
All women are invited to participate in the Bible study "Love Carved in Stone: A Fresh Look at the Ten Commandments" led by Heidi Keene.
- Senior Living Options on Nov 19 is Next for Derry Seniors
10 am Tuesday, Nov 19 in Room 7
Next month you're invited to a panel discussion featuring representatives from Country Meadows, Londonderry Village and Home Instead and moderated by Derry's own Chuck Theal. It's a great opportunity to gain a better understanding of residential and in-home care services available nearby. Bring your questions! The program is free. Lunch available afterwards in Fellowship Hall ($3)
- The Great American Songbook Meets Brahms and Knific
4 pm Sunday, Nov 17 in the Sanctuary
This Michigan-based quartet performs a mix of original, contemporary jazz works with a decidedly chamber music vibe, jazz standards, and original chamber music. You’ll enjoy the music of Brahms and Bacharach, with a little Gershwin to top it off. The Quartet includes Renata Artman Knific, violin; Bruce Uchimura, cello; Susan Wiersma Uchimura, piano, and Tom Knific, double bass. An Arts Alive event. Free will offering.
- Honduras Partnership Gathering on Nov 3
3-4:30 pm Sunday, Nov 3 at First Presbyterian Church of Carlisle
You're invited to learn more about the new dimensions of Carlisle Presbytery's partnership with the Presbyterian Churches of Honduras:
- Building homes, to meet a basic human need for our brothers and sisters in Honduras
- Tending to our relationships in Christ, whether apart or together, through prayer, Bible Study and social media
- Engaging in shared experiences that train us for leadership and/or bring us together around topics of common interest
- Telling the story of what God is doing among and through us.
- 2020 Mission Trip to the Dominican Republic
Save the week: June 13-21, 2020
Make plans now to be part of Derry's 2020 mission trip to the Dominican Republic, our 20th trip with Bridges to Community. Minimum age is 13-15 with a parent or guardian, with no upper age limit.
We will be building a house or school with local masons and doing Bible School activities. The all-inclusive cost will be $1,650 with application (available in January) and payment to Derry due by March 8. Oak Fund grant applications are available in the church office to defer up to 50% of the trip cost.
For more information, please see or call Pete Feil (717-566-8250) or add your name to the sign-up sheet on the Mission & Peace bulletin board in the Narthex.
- Are You Running in the Hershey Half?
Please let us know so we can keep you (and all the runners) in our prayers on Sunday morning.
- Preschool Silent Auction Begins Oct 19You’re invited to bid on the silent auction items on display in the Narthex near the nursery. The auction closes at 11:30 am Saturday, Nov 2 during the Derry Discovery Days’ Family Fall Festival (10am-12pm). Items include golf outings, out of town packages, themed baskets and much more! Winners will be contacted by phone if they are not present at the end of the auction. Proceeds benefit Derry Discovery Days preschool.
- October 2019 Financial SnapshotCash Flow - Operating Fund as of 9/30/19
Income YTD $952,047 $963,476 Expenses YTD $869,393 $967,981 Surplus (Deficit) YTD $82,654 ($4,505)
Questions? Contact Steven Guenther, treasurer.
- Don't Miss the Bus!
If you’d like to go on the annual NYC bus trip on Nov 23, be sure to sign up this Sunday, Oct 20 in the Narthex. Table will be staffed for 30 minutes after the 11 am service. We have 20 seats available, If you are unable to make your reservation that day, please contact Julie Miller at 717-370-1003.
- Attention Derry Artists and CraftsmenYou are invited to donate one of your creations to the 18th annual Silent Auction, to be held Dec 1-8 in the Narthex. Your donation should be given to Pete Feil by Nov 24 along with the minimum acceptable bid for that item. All proceeds benefit mission trips in 2020.
- NEW! 2019 Ornament by Mark SmithDerry member Mark Smith, blacksmith by trade, has turned eight nails into a beautiful star ornament that you can purchase for $10 each on Sunday mornings beginning Oct 27. Proceeds will help to fund scholarships for students attending Presbyterian Education Board schools in Pakistan. On Oct 24 a contingent of 13 Derry members and friends depart for a 10-day trip to visit the schools... keep them in your prayers.
- Show Some Love to Our College Students
Next month our college students will receive a $5 Starbucks gift card and greetings from Derry Church so they know their church family remembers and cares about them. To support this effort, write checks to Derry Church notated “College Care” by Sunday, Nov 3.
Did You Know?
Food Bank Sunday on the second Sunday of every month is the designated day to drop off non-perishable foods for the Hershey Food Bank... but donations are accepted any time: find collection baskets/containers at our main entrances. Here's a list of the Hershey Food Bank's most-needed items.