When the full story is not visible, click on a headline to read more.
- Church Office Closed Monday, May 29
The church office will be closed for Memorial Day, and open 9 am Tuesday, May 30.
- Fourth Annual Lace Up with Love INC Sneaker Drive
June 4 through August 12, you’re invited to purchase a new pair of sneakers (name brands preferred) for a child in need (grades K-12) in the Lower Dauphin and Derry Township school districts. Sneakers will be distributed by Love INC of Greater Hershey in mid-August so students will have a new pair in time for the start of the school year. Athletic sneakers for boys and girls, children’s size 12 through women’s size 11/Men’s size 15 are needed, as well as NEW socks (low cut and mid-calf). Monetary donations are also welcome and appreciated, and can be made online or brought to the Love INC office across the street from Derry Church. Drop off sneakers in the designated basket in the atrium mission closet. More info by calling Love INC: 835-0101.
- 2017 VBS Registration & Volunteer Signup
This year’s Vacation Bible School theme is “Building Faith in God.” VBS will be held August 7-11 from 9 am - 12 pm. Children ages 4 through 5th grade are invited to join us for a fun-filled week of stories, music, crafts, games and snacks.
Registration forms are now available online and at the insert rack
Many volunteers are needed as leaders in our classrooms, to help with snacks and registration, and to have fun in our story, craft and recreation rooms. Anyone in 6th grade and older is welcome to join the fun. Download a form to volunteer.
All volunteers 18 and older will need to provide their clearances: Child Abuse from the PA Dept. of Human Services, Criminal History Record from the PA State Police and if you have not lived in the state of PA for the last 10 consecutive years you will need the Federal Criminal History Record.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the church (533-9667) with any questions or concerns. We hope you will join us for Derry’s 2017 Vacation Bible School.
- Congratulations 2017 Graduates!
These Derry Church high school graduates were recognized during worship on Sunday morning. L-R, seated: Eric Englund-Krieger, Kathryn Kinney, Emilee Brock and Ross Good. Not pictured: Dan and Sam Dornberger, Owen Ladd, Catherine Martinez, Alyson Meyerhoffer, Matthew Campbell & Erin Wolfe. Congratulations to all!
- Rescue In the Night
A fully staged, costumed production of Rescue in the Night will be presented at the 10:30 am worship service on Sunday, June 4 in the Sanctuary. This musical takes us back to the Old Testament as the children in Derry's Music & Arts program bring the story of Daniel in the lion's den to life! The musical is directed by Dr. Sean McCarthy, with stage direction and choreography by Frances Mohler. Derry’s annual church picnic follows the musical. The 8 am worship service, on this Pentecost Sunday, will be held as usual in the Chapel. Remember to wear red!
- 3D Puzzles Under Construction
Are you good at building 3D jigsaw puzzles? Please stop in the Hammond Library throughout the summer to construct some building -shaped puzzles that will be displayed during this year’s “Building Faith in God” Vacation Bible School program in August.
- May 2017 Session Report
- Received the monthly financial statements from the Treasurer and reports from the Board of Deacons and all committees.
- Reviewed recent baptism requests and approved the following:
- Benjamin Dominic Farbaniec, son of members Michael & Rebecca Farbaniec
- Edward Lloyd Morgan, son of Lloyd & Ginny Morgan who will join Derry that same day
- Ginny Gu Qiuyan Morgan, adult baptism upon profession of faith
- Gavin Joseph Berk and James Martin Berk, sons of Derry members Steven & Priscilla Berk
- Josefine Emerie Minnich, daughter of Shaun & Valerie Barr Minnich (Valerie is a former Derry member who is worshipping regularly at Derry)
- Mason Sims Mohler and Ophelia Knight Mohler, children of members Frances & Jeremy Mohler
- Sara Grace Bailey, daughter of Kevin & Katie McMullen Bailey (Katie is a former Derry member and actively participating at a Brethren Church in Maryland)
- Ian Taylor Bellaman and Bailey Rose Bellaman, children of Derry member Dawn Bellaman and her husband Paul
Morgan Jean Brandt, daughter of Greg and Emily Brandt
- Approved a transfer of membership for Mary and Richard Zesiger to Buffalo-Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Cumberland, Ohio. Approved the removal of Allison Spooner from Derry’s active membership role due to her ordination. Allison is now a member of Carlisle Presbytery.
- Approved engaging the services of Boyer & Ritter to perform a scheduled audit of Derry’s financial records for the year 2016 in an amount not to exceed $10,000.
- Approved Steven Guenther as a signatory on Derry’s Vanguard accounts.
- Approved renewal of the Brong Scholarship for Christopher Houtz as he enters his second year at Princeton Theological Seminary.
- Approved the addition of Denn Hollandsmith as a new member of the Communications & Technology committee.
- Approved the 2017-18 Communion schedule as presented by the Worship and Spiritual Life Committee.
- Approved a building use request from Nicola Burke for Friday January 5, 2018 for a trombone choir concert, proceeds from which will benefit an organization benefiting domestic abuse victims, and waived all building use fees.
- Approved new software purchases for the office due to out-of-date editions and upgrading to assist with online giving.
- Approved Seth Mullen’s request to support Hershey Heroes’ Day on Saturday May 20 in downtown Hershey by setting up a table on behalf of Derry Church and performing face painting.
- Safe Children Training: June 4
The continued safety of our children and youth is a top priority of Derry Church. In compliance with legislative changes (Act 44, 45 and 153 of 2014), Derry Church now has a Safe Children Policy. These changes directly impact our valued volunteers, and we want to be sure you are aware of them.
Most notably: Pennsylvania law now includes more stringent requirements for checking the background of those in contact with children under the age of 18. These provisions apply to all of our volunteers who work with children, even if they volunteer on a limited and/or infrequent basis.
The next training session will be held 9-10 am Sunday, June 4 in Room 7 for all those who have not yet participated. Sign up online or contact Teresa Hutcheson (533-9667) to reserve your spot.
We ask that all volunteers who work with children read the Safe Children Policy and complete the Volunteer Application and Affidavit. Both are available in the “Quick Links” section of the church’s home page: derrypres.org.
Kathy McGrath is serving as Derry Church’s Safe Children Compliance Officer. She is available to help individuals to obtain their certifications. To set up an appointment, email Kathy at email@example.com or call Teresa Hutcheson (533-9667).
Serving as a volunteer now requires you to give more than just your time helping our children. Now more than ever, we appreciate those who are willing to volunteer. Thank you for your interest and commitment.
- Coming this Summer: Two Exciting Church School Options
- "Milk and Honey Cooking School”: 9-10 am Sundays, June 11- August 20 in Fellowship Hall. Learn the history of God’s people through Bible stories and cooking and eating. Each week we’ll try a different recipe. All ages are welcome! The Milk and Honey Cooking School provides us with a more in-depth look at the culture of the Middle East. Think of the meals you have read about in the Bible, both Old and New Testaments. Each event that happened to God’s people made an impact on their lives, and that included the food they ate. We will be trying some new tastes as we sample such foods as Abraham’s Goat Cheese Dip, Unleavened Bread, Esau’s Pottage, Challah Bread, Grecian Honey Cheesecake, and Roman Bread Pudding (to mention a few of the dishes being served). Come and enjoy the learning and the fun! To lead a session, please contact Debbie Hough. Sessions can be led by individuals, two or three friends, even entire families!
- Watching TV Religiously: 9-10 am Sundays, June 18-August 20 in Room 7C. Screens have become inescapable as we carry tiny TVs in our pockets and see big screens almost everywhere we go. How do we choose what to watch, for ourselves and our children? And how do we apply the lens of faith when we watch? Join us as we watch and discuss “Touched by An Angel” episodes from the show that aired on TV from 1994-2003. All ages welcome.
- Learn About the Holy Spirit on Sunday
9-10 am Sunday, May 21 in Room 7C, join Derry member Michael Zeigler as he unpacks the mystery and marvel that is the Holy Spirit. What is the Holy Spirit? What role did the Spirit play in Scripture? What is the Spirit’s ministry in the church and the world? Come and learn more about the Third Person of the Holy Trinity, and bring your questions.
- Derry Church Has Called Rev. Dr. Stephen McKinney-Whitaker
At a meeting following worship on Sunday, May 7, 2017, the congregation of Derry Presbyterian Church voted to call the Rev. Dr. Stephen McKinney-Whitaker as its next pastor and head of staff. Pastor Stephen comes to us from United Presbyterian Church, Peoria, Illinois, where he has served as Pastor Head of Staff since 2009. Along with his wife Courtney and two-and-a-half year old daughter Verity, they will be relocating to Central Pennsylvania in July. His first Sunday leading worship at Derry Church will be July 16.
- Hershey Heroes Day is Saturday!
10 am - 2 pm on the square in downtown Hershey. Support the Hershey Heroes, Central Pennsylvania's special needs hockey team, and our everyday heroes from the military, police and fire departments. Bring the family and enjoy live music, free games and face painting, Blazing Swine BBQ and more! Be sure to stop by and say hello at the Derry Church table.
- It's Back: Quarters for Education, A Mission Project You Can Work on All Summer Long!
Two summers ago, dozens of Derry friends helped to raise money for the Sargodha boys' school in Pakistan by participating in this simple quarter-collecting fundraiser. On Sunday, May 21, you can sign up to get a tube of mini M&Ms. When the tube is empty, fill it with quarters that will provide funds to continue construction on the Sargodha boys' school. Your generosity will enable more children to receive a quality Christian education. Read more at peb.edu.pk. Return your tube of Quarters for Education to the offering plate when it’s full or by September 10.
- Pentecost Offering
The Pentecost Offering is traditionally received on the day of Pentecost (June 4). It provides a direct way to meet the needs of children at risk, youth, and young adults. In addition, 40% of this offering can be kept by individual congregations for use in their own communities. Derry has designated the Community Checkup Center to receive a portion of the 2017 Pentecost Offering receipts. The remaining 60% will be used for leadership development opportunities for Presbyterian youth and young adults and support for children-at-risk programs at the national level. Since 1998, Presbyterians of all ages have raised more than $8 million for these ministries that benefit younger members of God’s family.
- Thanks for Delicious Dinners!
A BIG thank-you to all those who have helped with preparing and serving Terrific Tuesday dinners September through April: Nancy & Tom Kitzmiller, Cinny Parrish, Nancy Morgan, Wendy Cooper, Randy Weaver, Blondie Ferguson, Marion Weaver, coordinator Loretta Chubb, Glenda Speicher, Martha Walker, Russ Boeshore, Gary Chubb, Joy McLure, Ron & Barbara Holmes, and Ron Walker. Thanks also to those who help set up and clean up and have a hand in making Tuesdays at Derry Church the place for great food and fellowship.
Did You Know?
Food Bank Sunday on the second Sunday of every month is the designated day to drop off non-perishable foods for the Hershey Food Bank... but donations are accepted any time: find collection baskets/containers at our main entrances. Here's a list of the Hershey Food Bank's most-needed items.