When the full story is not visible, click on a headline to read more.
- Wear Orange on Tuesday, September 25September 25 is set aside by Presbyterian Women to remind us of women and children exploited and those who are working to change their lives. Lily Pad Haven in Charlotte, N.C., provides shelter and care for survivors of human trafficking. The Well in Bucks County gives long-term aftercare and housing which focuses on women and girls who have been sexually exploited and in some cases relocated far from home(trafficked). Recently Lancaster sentenced a man for trafficking -- a first for that county. Show support for those working to increase the quality of life for the victims: wear orange or an orange ribbon on Tuesday, September 25.
- Sign Up on Sunday for the Bus Trip to NYCSignups begin Sunday, September 23 and continue through October 20 or until all tickets are sold. When you register, you’ll be asked for the names of all those in your party as well as at least one cell phone number for urgent communication while in the city. Payment of $55 per person is required at the time of registration. Then get ready to spend November 17 in New York City!The bus will depart Derry Church promptly at 7 am, so plan to arrive no later than 6:45 am. Drop-off and pickup in NYC will be at the Winter Garden Theatre. enjoy the city to your heart’s content: see a Broadway show, go shopping, tour the city or eat your way through the Big Apple. Bus departs the city at 7 pm sharp. The trip is a fantastic way to start the holiday season and we hope you’ll join the fun! Trip sponsored by the Sanctuary Choir.
- CROP Walk: Oct 28
1 pm Sunday, October 28 on the Milton Hershey School grounds. Help end hunger one step at a time by joining Derry’s Pilgrim Fellowship and dozens of church members and friends for the 33rd annual Hershey/Hummelstown CROP Hunger Walk. Registration begins at 12:30 pm at the Henry Hershey Field and the walk takes place rain or shine. Sign up at church for the 1-mile/5K walk and ask sponsors to pledge an amount of money per mile walked.Non-walkers can support the effort by contributing funds online and sponsoring those who walk. Make checks payable to CROP WALK... return funds to registration tables on the day of the walk. Derry’s goal for 2018 is $5,000... 25% of funds raised will be split between the Hershey and Hummelstown food banks. The remainder will help to support the overall ministry of Church World Service, especially grassroots, hunger-fighting development efforts around the world.
- September 2018 Financial Snapshot
Cash Flow - Operating Fund as of 8/31/18
Actual Budgeted Income YTD 878,022 828,943 Expenses YTD 869,142 843,392 Surplus (Deficit) YTD 8,800 (14,449)Contributions to the general fund are $41K over budget and $80K over 2017. Building & Grounds is over budget due to repairs needed to the sprinkler system and heating system. Committee expenses are in line with expectations. Questions? Contact Steven Guenther, treasurer.
- Three Ways You Can Support Derry Discovery Days Preschool
- Feniccis Fundraiser: 11 am - midnight Monday, October 8 at Fenicci’s Restaurant, 102 Chocolate Avenue, Hershey. 10% of the cost of your food order (eat in or take out) will be donated to Derry Discovery Days Preschool. No forms needed. Extensive menu from pizza and salads to burgers and seafood. Or order online and grab ‘n go with curbside pickup!
- Giant A+ School Rewards: Once again Derry Discovery Days is participating in the rewards program at Giant food stores. If you registered your card last year, you DO NOT need to re-register this year. If you’re new to the program, log on to giantfoodstores.com/school-rewards using your Giant BONUSCARD and designate our school using #22771, or call the A+ Hotline at 877-275-2758 for assistance. Each time you shop at Giant, the school(s) you designate will earn cash back on all of your eligible purchases. When the program ends next spring, Derry Discovery Days will receive a check from Giant. Last year the preschool earned $1,333 and used funds to purchase equipment and supplies. This program has no impact on gas points you earn.
- Family Fall Festival: 9 am - 12 pm Saturday, November 3. Games, crafts, bake sale, entertainment and a silent auction... all proceeds will support Derry Discovery Days preschool. All ages welcome and the event is open to the entire community. The silent auction opens Sunday, October 21 and closes during the festival.
- Derry Church Responds: Hurricane RecoveryHurricane Florence brought devastating floods to residents in North and South Carolina. Even though the storm moved into the area almost a week ago, flood waters have barely receded. For many, cleanup and recovery has not even started. We have lived through one of the wettest summers in history and have seen flash floods disrupt the lives of our neighbors in South Central PA. The Mission and Peace Committee (MAP) knows that Derry Church stands with its neighbors near and far in times of natural disaster. Therefore, MAP has designated $1,500 from its budget to Presbyterian Disaster Assistance (PDA) and $1,500 to Lend A Hand.We all know PDA as our denominational organization that goes in immediately after disaster with cleaning supplies and essentials for those affected by the flooding. In coming months, Lend A Hand will be working to rebuild lives in Princeville, North Carolina as well as locally in Lebanon County, Mount Joy and York County.You can add to our disaster relief giving by making donations to the church office payable to “Derry Presbyterian Church” and notated either “Disaster Relief,” “PDA,” or “Lend A Hand.”
- Family Promise Dinners Needed Sept 30-Oct 6Recently Pastor Stephen presented a challenge to the congregation: he encouraged us to leave the walls of Derry and go out into the community to build relationships. Well, here's your chance to do just that! The Family Promise shelter returns to Hershey the week of September 30 – October 6. By taking a meal or driving the Family Promise van, you will be sharing the love of Christ with families who are working hard to get back on their feet. Sign up to drive the van...or sign up online for meals using last name Promise and password Derry. Questions? Contact Jane Robertson. Thanks, Derry!
- Surviving the Holidays GriefShare Workshop: Oct 279:30 am-11:30 am Saturday, October 27 in room 7AB for those grieving the loss of a loved one. This workshop helps with support, encouragement and advice for the upcoming holiday season. Free. RSVP to Pastor Marie (717-533-9667).
- Thank You Note from Debbie HoughRead a letter from Debbie Hough, our former Director of Christian Education, expressing her thanks for recent retirement celebrations and gifts.
- Happy Anniversary!
On Sunday, September 16, the McKinney-Whitaker family and members of the Pastor Nominating Committee joined with the congregation to celebrate the first anniversary of Pastor Stephen's installation at post-worship fellowship.
- Text to Give: NEW at Derry Church!
Now you can use your mobile phone or tablet to support the mission and ministry of Derry Church!
- Draft a new text message to 717-356-9648
- Enter the amount you wish to give inside the conversation bubble
- Send the message
- Click on the link you receive in response
- Enter your contact and payment information
After registration completes, you'll receive a verification text and a receipt by email. Future gifts you text to that number will process automatically. Questions? Contact Sandy Miceli.
- Introducing Derry's APNC!
Derry's Associate Pastor Nominating Committee (APNC) has been hard at work for a few weeks now. Seated: Mike Reed, Chris Cooper, Jack Keene, Stephanie Patton. Standing: Bob Gavazzi, chair Sara Woodbury, Liz Gawron, Nicola Burke and Courtney McKinney-Whitaker.
- Join the Celebration on September 1612:00-1:30 pm Sunday, September 16 in Fellowship Hall. On this special Sunday, post-worship fellowship is provided by the Pastor Nominating Committee and Friends of Sargodha:Help us celebrate the one-year anniversary of Pastor Stephen's installation as Derry's pastor It's been a busy year, not just for Pastor Stephen but for the McKinney-Whitaker family. Courtney is a member of Derry Church and serving on the Associate Pastor Nominating Committee. Verity enjoys Sunday School, KIWI and Discovery Days preschool and is participating in the Joyful Noise choir.And the 20th anniversary of the Presbyterian Education Board (PEB) in Pakistan! Read about the work of the Presbyterian Education Board at Derry, then join us following the reception as Veda Javaid Gill, Executive Director of PEB, and Margy Trimble, Executive Director of the Friends of PEB, update us on the past 20 miraculous years of Presbyterian mission in Pakistan. Hear about the impact PEB and YOU have had in transforming the lives of Pakistani children!
- Schedule Change: Pastor Stephen's Tuesday Evening Study Pastor Stephen's new Tuesday evening study will not meet on September 18 or 25. Join him Tuesdays in the John Elder Classroom from 6-6:30 pm October 2 as he continues his verse-by-verse study of the Sermon on the Mount from the Gospel of Matthew.
- Comparative Religions is Next for the Derry Seniors
10 am Tuesday, October 16 in room 7, the Derry Seniors welcome Dr. Matthew Sayers, Associate Professor of Religion at Lebanon Valley College. He will present "Comparative Religions: Jesus, Mohammad and Krishna." His introduction to the religious traditions associated with Islam and Hinduism will include belief, ritual, key figures, community, history, and morality. He'll draw on the audience’s understanding of Christianity to explain similarities and differences in these two traditions and across religions more generally. Bring your questions! Free. Lunch follows ($3/person) in Fellowship Hall.
Did You Know?
Food Bank Sunday on the second Sunday of every month is the designated day to drop off non-perishable foods for the Hershey Food Bank... but donations are accepted any time: find collection baskets/containers at our main entrances. Here's a list of the Hershey Food Bank's most-needed items.