When the full story is not visible, click on a headline to read more.
- Sneaker Drive Success
Love INC of Greater Hershey’s 5th Annual “Lace Up with Love INC” Sneaker Drive provided sneakers to 428+ students in Lower Dauphin and Derry Township School Districts last month. THANK YOU to the hundreds of volunteers and sneaker donors who made new shoes possible for so many families in our community.
- Coin Return: Sept 16
Change 4 Children goes to The Alliance for Children Everywhere which gives hope to the next generation through its education program. Their broad range of learning institutions, from the Learning Center of Joy preschool to FaithWorks Primary Schools to Helen DeVos Christian School, transforms the future of Zambian children. Education reduces the number of displaced orphans and street children, prevents AIDS, and transforms young people into productive citizens and leaders in their families, churches, communities, and nation.Do you have foreign coins that you no longer need? Please bag them separately and they’ll be donated to UNICEF’s Change For Good by Derry member and American Airlines pilot Brian Montgomery.
When you return coins, please make sure that your bag is free of paper clips, guitar picks, stray bits of metal, buttons, and anything that isn’t legal tender: these items clog the coin sorting machine. The next collection will be in December, so keep on gathering those coins.
- Text to Give: NEW at Derry Church!
Now you can use your mobile phone or tablet to support the mission and ministry of Derry Church!
- Draft a new text message to 717-356-9648
- Enter the amount you wish to give inside the conversation bubble
- Send the message
- Click on the link you receive in response
- Enter your contact and payment information
After registration completes, you'll receive a verification text and a receipt by email. Future gifts you text to that number will process automatically. Questions? Contact Sandy Miceli.
- Introducing Derry's APNC!
Derry's Associate Pastor Nominating Committee (APNC) has been hard at work for a few weeks now. Seated: Mike Reed, Chris Cooper, Jack Keene, Stephanie Patton. Standing: Bob Gavazzi, chair Sara Woodbury, Liz Gawron, Nicola Burke and Courtney McKinney-Whitaker.
- Join the Celebration on September 1612:00-1:30 pm Sunday, September 16 in Fellowship Hall. On this special Sunday, post-worship fellowship is provided by the Pastor Nominating Committee and Friends of Sargodha:Help us celebrate the one-year anniversary of Pastor Stephen's installation as Derry's pastor It's been a busy year, not just for Pastor Stephen but for the McKinney-Whitaker family. Courtney is a member of Derry Church and serving on the Associate Pastor Nominating Committee. Verity enjoys Sunday School, KIWI and Discovery Days preschool and is participating in the Joyful Noise choir.And the 20th anniversary of the Presbyterian Education Board (PEB) in Pakistan! Read about the work of the Presbyterian Education Board at Derry, then join us following the reception as Veda Javaid Gill, Executive Director of PEB, and Margy Trimble, Executive Director of the Friends of PEB, update us on the past 20 miraculous years of Presbyterian mission in Pakistan. Hear about the impact PEB and YOU have had in transforming the lives of Pakistani children!
- Schedule Change: Pastor Stephen's Tuesday Evening Study Pastor Stephen's new Tuesday evening study will not meet on September 18 or 25. Join him Tuesdays in the John Elder Classroom from 6-6:30 pm October 2 as he continues his verse-by-verse study of the Sermon on the Mount from the Gospel of Matthew.
- Comparative Religions is Next for the Derry Seniors
10 am Tuesday, October 16 in room 7, the Derry Seniors welcome Dr. Matthew Sayers, Associate Professor of Religion at Lebanon Valley College. He will present "Comparative Religions: Jesus, Mohammad and Krishna." His introduction to the religious traditions associated with Islam and Hinduism will include belief, ritual, key figures, community, history, and morality. He'll draw on the audience’s understanding of Christianity to explain similarities and differences in these two traditions and across religions more generally. Bring your questions! Free. Lunch follows ($3/person) in Fellowship Hall.
- Returning Sept 24: Monday Night Women's Bible Study
The women's Bible study group led by Debbie Hough for many years will gather at 7 pm Monday, September 24 to decide what's next. You're invited to join them in the John Elder Classroom. Interested but can't attend on 9/24? Contact Sue George to be added to the distribution list.
- Be a Family Advocate
Consider making a lasting impact on the lives of families in your community... join a team of people who work to help individuals and families overcome chronic poverty.... serve individually or together as a couple. Sponsored by Love INC of Greater Hershey, the next training sessions will be held Wednesdays, October 17 - November 14. Online sessions held 10/17 and 11/14. In person training offered 6:30-8:30 pm at the Mission House across the street from Derry Church on 10/24, 10/31 and 11/7. Curious? Speak with Kate Valenziano after the worship services on September 16 or contact Doug Miller for more information and to register. There is NO COST for this training!
- Christian Churches United Posts Job Opening
HELP Ministries, a program of Christian Churches United, is accepting applications for a Client Services Coordinator to support households experiencing a housing crisis to find and/or maintain permanent housing. The successful applicant will have experience in strength-based assessment and case management, having the ability to connect clients to available resources in the Capital Region. At least one year human service experience is required, along with experience working with low-income families. Bachelor’s degree and bi-lingual English/Spanish preferred. This hourly position averages 25-29 hours a week, with some evening hours. Job description available on request. Please submit letter of interest and resume to John Scarpato.
- Free One-Day Parenting Class: Oct 20
"Guiding Good Choices" is for parents or caregivers of children of all ages. The class will be held 8 am - 4:30 pm Saturday, October 20 at Spring Creek Church of the Brethren, Hershey. Workshops include Building Confidence and Self-Esteem, Using the Power of Positive Reinforcement, Parenting in a Porn-is-the-Norm Culture, and Hope for Families Faced with Addiction. Free lunch. Child care provided. Read more and register or contact Spring Creek Church (717-533-7192).
- Tuesday Evening Bible Study with Pastor Stephen Begins Sept 11
6-6:30 pm Tuesdays in the John Elder Classroom beginning September 11. Join Pastor Stephen this fall for a verse-by-verse study of the Sermon on the Mount from the Gospel of Matthew.
- Hymnals, Free to a Good Home
Last Sunday the blue hymnals were pulled from the pews and are now organized alphabetically by donor on tables in the Narthex. Help yourself to the one(s) you donated. We'd like all of the hymnals to go, so even if you didn't donate any you're welcome to take one or more. You don't have to be musical to want a hymnal: many people appreciate reading hymns as part of their time for personal devotions.
- Derry Mission UpdateAfter 17 years of building houses and providing Bible school activities in Nicaragua with Bridges to Community, violent civil unrest precluded our June 2018 trip. Fortunately we were able to redirect our group to a community near Derrumbadeo, Dominican Republic, an area where BTC has been active for the past ten years.Funds from our One Great Hour of Sharing offering were used to help build houses in the Dominican Republic, with some being retained by BTC in anticipation of returning to Nicaragua at a later date. We were able to build most of one house, begin on a second one, and to do Bible school activities for 50-100 youth. While the DR is somewhat better off economically than Nicaragua, there is a need for adequate housing in rural areas. For two families, this became a reality thanks to the strong support of Derry's congregation.
- Do You Have One of these Banks at Home?They're due back this Sunday, September 9. Drop in the offering plate or bring to the church office. Thanks for supporting scholarships for children attending Presbyterian Education Board schools in Pakistan!
Did You Know?
Food Bank Sunday on the second Sunday of every month is the designated day to drop off non-perishable foods for the Hershey Food Bank... but donations are accepted any time: find collection baskets/containers at our main entrances. Here's a list of the Hershey Food Bank's most-needed items.