When the full story is not visible, click on a headline to read more.
- Church Office Closed for Thanksgiving: Nov 23-24
The Derry Church office will be closed Thursday and Friday, November 23-24. Happy Thanksgiving!
- Jim Cooper Memorial Blood Drive
8:30 am-12:30 pm Sunday, December 17 in Fellowship Hall. Sign up in the Narthex in coming weeks or walk in that day.
- Host an “After 8” Post-Worship Fellowship
Hosts and hostesses are needed to provide light refreshments following 8 am worship services in December & January. In addition to simple setup and cleanup, all that’s required is to provide a half-gallon of juice and two choices of baked goods (store-bought is fine). Paper products and fresh brewed coffee are provided by the church. Please contact Loretta Blaydon (717-599-5425) to host this important fellowship. Thanks Derry!
- Photo-A-Day Starts Dec 1!
- November 28 is Giving Tuesday!
Giving Tuesday kicks off the season of giving, just like post-Thanksgiving Day sales kick off the holiday shopping season. One way you can begin the season of giving is by making a special #GivingTuesday gift to Derry Church. Go to our online giving website and choose the area of ministry you’d like your gift to support. Thank you for your generosity to Derry Church!
- Discovery Days Has Teacher Aide Opening
Searching for a new job with benefits of love and laughter? Derry Discovery Days Preschool seeks an experienced aide for our three-year old students. This position is part-time, approximately 14 hours per week, for morning classes that run 9:00 -11:30 am Monday - Thursday from September through May. Experience with young children required. EOE. Send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 10th Anniversary Celebration and Pie Auction A Big Success!
Love INC’s 10th Anniversary Celebration and Pie Auction was a wonderful evening of fellowship, food, fun and fundraising. 120 pies were donated to the event that was attended by 150 people. This year an unexpected matching challenge of $2,500 for the final pie allowed the entire room to be involved in the bidding, providing a total of $5,000 for the pie! Total raised for the evening was $24,000. THANK YOU to all who sponsored, volunteered, baked pies, attended and bid to make this event so successful.
- Your Homemade Cakes & Pies Will Benefit Our Preschool
Derry Discovery Days is holding a bake sale in Fellowship Hall after Derry Church’s “An American Christmas” concert on Saturday, December 9. Homemade cookies, whole pies and cakes will be sold to raise funds for the preschool. If you’re willing to bake for the preschool, contact Kelly Mehaffie. Coming to the concert? Stop in to pick up a sweet treat and coffee “to go.” Cash and checks accepted.
- Christmas Caroling at The Gardens at Campbelltown
- November 2017 Session Highlights
- Congregational meeting electing one new Ruling Elder (Class of 2020) and one new member to the 2018 Nominating Committee, and approving the details of the Presbyterian Investment & Loan Program commitment of $600,000 for the upgrading of Derry’s HVAC system.
- Received 18 new members and their children.
- Examined newly elected Ruling Elders and Deacons in preparation for ordination/installation on Jan 14, 2018.
- Received monthly financial statements from the Treasurer and reports from Derry’s staff, Board of Deacons and all committees. Approved minutes of the Oct 18, 2017 Session meeting, the Nov 5, 2017 Called Congregational meeting, and the Nov 5, 2017 Called Session Meeting (with corrections).
- Removed 16 out-of-state members from the Active Membership roll due to relocation.
- Approved two Lease Agreements between Derry Church and Laird Morgan for the rental of the property at 233-235 East Derry Road - one for the residential portion of the building and a second for the Art on Derry commercial space.
- Received a follow-up report on Consecration Sunday and reviewed the 2017 preliminary budget.
- Approved the use of the church van for upcoming youth activities.
- Approved the addition of Sara Woodbury as a member of the Worship & Spiritual Life Committee.
- Approved a worship service on Saturday, February 3, 2018 at 5:00 pm and to hold one worship service on Sunday, February 4, 2018 at 10:30 am for the Annual Meeting.
- Approved a request from the Christian Education Committee to solicit donations from the congregation for the Family Faith Works event.
- Approved a church use request from Boy Scout Pack 200 for November 19, 2017 to hold a baked potato bar fundraiser luncheon.
- Held a Trustee Meeting to approve the details of the Presbyterian Investment & Loan Program commitment of $600,000 for the upgrading of Derry’s HVAC system.
- Suicide Prevention Training for Youth Leaders: Dec 4
6-8:30 pm Monday, December 4 at the Hershey Free Church, 330 Hilltop Road. Learn warning signs of a suicide crisis and how to Question, Persuade & Refer (QPR). The course focuses on training individuals to be "gatekeepers" (someone able to recognize a crisis and the warning signs of someone that may be contemplating suicide). Gatekeepers include parents, friends, neighbors, squad leaders, foremen, police officers, caseworkers & many others. This course is available at no charge as a part of Philhaven's commitment to improving the mental health and resilience of our community. QPR is a nationally certified, evidence-based programs taught by certified trainers. Register by email: email@example.com. Read more.
- Orange Day is November 25
The Safe Harbor bill which will provide a safe harbor for sexually exploited children and prevent delinquency charges from being filed, is still under consideration in the Pennsylvania legislature. Thirty other states already have passed a similar bill. Support this effort and wear orange or an orange ribbon on Saturday.
- Listen for Derry Church on WITF-FM
From November 28 through December 24, listen for Derry Church’s sponsorship ads in the morning on WITF-FM 89.5 on Weekend Edition, Top of the News and “On Being with Krista Tippet.”
- Silent Auction Opens on Sunday
Support Mission Week 2018 (and do some early Christmas shopping) during the week of November 26-December 3 when a large assortment of items from Nicaragua will be on display in the Narthex, and a selection of handcrafted items by Derry Church artisans and crafters. Bidding will close following the second worship service on December 3.
- Pilgrim Fellowship Serves Lunch: Dec 3
Gather in room 7A following the 10:30 am service on Sunday, December 3 for pizza provided by the Deacons, then serve the Derry Seniors’ holiday lunch and come back for ice cream sundaes. Pickup 2 pm. Parent helpers needed! Please RSVP by Wednesday, November 29.
Did You Know?
Food Bank Sunday on the second Sunday of every month is the designated day to drop off non-perishable foods for the Hershey Food Bank... but donations are accepted any time: find collection baskets/containers at our main entrances. Here's a list of the Hershey Food Bank's most-needed items.