When the full story is not visible, click on a headline to read more.
- Fall Baptism Classes Begin Sept 30
9-10 am Sundays, September 30 & October 7 in Room 13. Wondering why Christians believe in baptism... whether you can be baptized more than once... or if baptism can occur outside of Sunday worship? These questions and more will be addressed in this helpful two-week series. If you wish, prepare to have yourself or a family member baptized in worship on Sunday, October 14 or at a later date. RSVP to Marie Buffaloe.
- Last Call for the Corn Roast
Have you signed up for the annual picnic at Alexander’s farm in Hummelstown? It’s 5:30 pm Thursday, August 23. Don’t miss this great evening of fun, fellowship, corn on the cob roasted over hot coals, and lots of homemade salads and desserts. $2.50 per person. Return forms to the offering plate or call the church office by Sunday, August 19 (717-533-9667).
- Welcome Our New Members!We're delighted to welcome Jess Delo (L) and welcome back Valerie Barr Minnich (C) and Betsy Winger (R) as Derry Church's newest members who joined on Sunday, August 12. The fall series of new member classes begins on Sunday, October 14.
- August 2018 Financial Snapshot
Cash Flow - Operating Fund as of 7/31/18 Actual Budgeted Income YTD 815,796 725,326 Expenses YTD 728,249 737,973 Surplus (Deficit) YTD 87,547 (12,647)
Expenses are are under budget mostly due to timing of expenses. Contributions are over budget so far in 2018 by about $83,000. This results in a surplus of $87,500 so for this year. Questions? Contact Steven Guenther.
- Blessing of the Backpacks: Aug 26
Children and youth are invited to bring their backpacks to church for our annual blessing during the 10:30 am service on Sunday, August 26. We’ll pray for the beginning of the school year, bless backpacks, and give out a small token to help remember God is with you and for you all year long.
- Sign Up for Supper Clubs on Sept 9 and Oct 14!
Meet new Derry friends and enjoy fellowship around the table this fall! Sign up for Supper Clubs on Sunday, September 9 and Sunday, October 14. Contact Amy Backenstose (call or text 717-319-3193) or sign up on Sundays after 10:30 am worship. A child-friendly dinner is being planned for September 9 so families with children can socialize and share a meal with other families with kids.
- Volunteer for Fitting Sneakers
- Great Big Thank You
To Lori Klucker for producing this week's edition of the church's eNewsletter!
- Vacation Bible School 2018
More than 80 children participated in VBS 2018: God's Everyday Heroes! Thanks to everyone who supported this week-long program with donations, prayers, sending your children and volunteering throughout the week!
- Aesop's Fables at First United Methodist on Aug 18
9-11 am Saturday, August 18 at First United Methodist Church of Hershey, featuring the Popcorn Hat Players from Gamut Theatre Group. Enjoy the antics of Aesop's characters and learn the moral of each story. Breakfast begins 9 am in the social Hall, program begins at 10 am in the Sanctuary. Free. RSVP by August 15.
- Pancake Breakfast PostponedThe August 26 fundraiser breakfast supporting scholarship students in Sargodha, Pakistan has been postponed. We'll let you know when it has been rescheduled. Meanwhile you can support the Sargodha scholarship fund by picking up, filling and returning these small banks by September 9. Thanks, Derry!
- Support VBS Mission Projects
Our Vacation Bible School children have been sharing with local missions this week. You're invited to add to what they've collected by bringing items listed below when you come to worship on Sunday, August 12:
Canned/nonperishable foods for the Hershey Food Bank
Items for Love INC's Personal Care Closet
Children’s Books for the Community Check-up Center and Christ Lutheran Church, Harrisburg
- Feminine hygiene products
- Body Wash
- Laundry detergent – standard size or pods
- Toilet paper
- Band- aids
- Dish soap
- Household cleaner
- Shaving cream/disposable razors
- Deodorant - men’s and women’s
- Toothpaste - family size
School Kits for Refugees (Church World Service)
- Educational activity books for children in preschool through 2nd grade
- New or very gently used reading books
Items needed to make one school kit:
- One pair of blunt metal scissors (rounded tip)
- Three 70-count spiral notebooks or notebooks totaling 200-210 pages (no loose-leaf or filler paper)
- One 30-centimeter ruler (12”
- One hand-held pencil sharpener
- One large erasers
- Six new pencils with erasers
- One box of 24 crayons (only 24)
Donations for back to school clothes for children at Christ Lutheran Church, Harrisburg. Make checks payable to "DPC" notated VBS Mission
- Fleece Fabric Needed for Blanket-Making on Sept 2
All it takes to make one warm and cozy blanket is two pieces of fleece fabric cut in two-yard lengths. Drop off coordinating fabric in the church office, then join the fun 9-10 am on Sunday, September 2 as Derry friends gather around tables in room 7 to make knotted fleece blankets for those in need. Thanks, Derry!
- Celebrate Teresa's 20 Years of Service on August 12
Our church secretary, Teresa Hutcheson, joined the staff on August 13, 1998... on Sunday, August 12 we'll celebrate and recognize her 20 years of service at both worship services. You're invited to bring a card on Sunday, drop one in the mail, or stop by during the week to say thanks to Teresa for her many years of dedicated support and service to the staff and congregation.
- Books, Free to a Good Home
Stop by the table in the atrium library between August 12 and 19 to look over the selection of books that has been cleaned from the stacks of our church library. See any you like for yourself or a friend or family member? Help yourself! Any books that remain at the end of the week will be sent to the book sale at Princeton Theological Seminary this fall.
Did You Know?
Food Bank Sunday on the second Sunday of every month is the designated day to drop off non-perishable foods for the Hershey Food Bank... but donations are accepted any time: find collection baskets/containers at our main entrances. Here's a list of the Hershey Food Bank's most-needed items.