When the full story is not visible, click on a headline to read more.
- Corn Roast! Save the Date: Aug 23
Derry Church's annual corn roast and picnic will be held at Alexander’s farm in Hummelstown on Thursday, August 23. Save the date!
- Record-Setting 10th Annual Mission Golf Outing
On Saturday, June 2, a record 112 golfers participated in the 10th Annual Mission Classic golf outing benefiting the Hershey Food Bank and Community Outreach. For what was a potentially very wet day, it turned out to be sunny and warm. Derry Church was well represented and even won a few contests. A total of $6,750 was raised: thanks to everyone who supported this event.
- Coin Return on June 17
Remember to bring your Change 4 Children coins with you to church on Sunday to be collected at the end of morning worship. Your coins support Alliance for Children Everywhere in Zambia. Its Family Preservation Program's monthly food distribution includes soap and talking about personal hygiene, food safety, and protecting children from infections as well as food. When a cholera epidemic broke out in Lusaka, no staffers knew the status of the program's participants due to the government's ban on public meetings. When the outbreak subsided, they learned none of the families were tragically affected due to those health safety talks at the six distribution centers.Do you have foreign coins that you no longer need? Please bag them separately and they’ll be donated to UNICEF’s Change For Good by Derry member and American Airlines pilot Brian Montgomery. When you return coins, please make sure that your bag is free of paper clips, guitar picks, stray bits of metal, buttons, and anything that isn’t legal tender: these items clog the coin sorting machine. The next collection will be in September, so keep on gathering those coins.
- Welcome Derry's Newest Member!
Congratulations to Lauren Reed, Derry's newest member! A member of the 2017-18 confirmation class, Lauren was confirmed on Sunday, June 10.
- Sunday Afternoon Hymn Sing: July 8
3 pm Sunday, July 8, meet in the lobby at the Hershey Plaza apartments to sing familiar hymns with Derry Church friends. You may even see some familiar Derry faces among the residents! All ages welcome.
- PW Thanks & Updates
- Thanks to all who contributed to the PW Birthday Offering: $2,052 was received!
- Thanks to everyone who contributed items for 50 hygiene bags that were delivered to the Domestic Violence Center in Harrisburg.
- Thanks to Helen Mayer and Lillian Shade who sewed the cloth bags.
- Paper Towel Tubes Needed
For Vacation Bible School in August. Tubes are being collected in the designated basket in the lower level mission closet through July 31. Thanks, Derry!
- Engage: Jazz Worship + Food Trucks!
Engage worship returns next month with a jazz-themed service! Dress casual and join us for worship at 5 pm Saturday, July 21 in the Sanctuary featuring jazzy arrangements of favorite hymns plus soloists and instrumental arrangements, and a meditation by Pastor Stephen. Following the service, food trucks from Upohar Ethnic Cuisines and Soul Burrito will be on site for anyone who would like to purchase dinner. Dessert will also be available for purchase. Bring lawn chairs or blankets or eat in Fellowship Hall... then test your skill at games set up outdoors. Don't miss this summer worship event!
- BBQ & Concert Benefits Love Inc: July 21
4-8:30 pm Saturday, July 21 at Cassel Vineyards of Hershey, 80 Shetland Drive. Your $10 ticket includes a free wine tasting (optional), choice of special menu item from Bazing Swine BBQ or Grappling Crab Shack (additional food available for purchase), and outdoor concert double-feature with Trace Morgan and Modern Blue. To purchase tickets, contact Love INC of Greater Hershey: 717-835-0101.
- Lunch & Learn About Acupuncture
12 pm Thursday, June 21 at Londonderry Village’s Di Matteo Worship Center, Ann Kirby will provide an overview of acupuncture, its history, how it works and its various applications. She is a 2015 graduate of the Finger Lakes School of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine at NYCC in Seneca Falls, New York. Returning home to Central PA, Ann uses her knowledge to offer a new aspect of medical care to the area. The Lunch ‘N Learn series is open to the public and requires a reservation be made no later than a week prior to the event by calling 717-687-2521 ext. 3009. Brown bag lunches are available for purchase and must be requested at the time of reservation. You are also welcome to bring your own lunch during the discussion or just come and listen to the speaker.
- Read with Pastor Stephen this Summer
You’re invited to join Pastor Stephen and Derry friends in reading Letters to My Palestinian Neighbor by Yossi Klein Halevi. In this taut and provocative book, Halevi addresses his Palestinian neighbors, empathizing with Palestinian suffering and longing for reconciliation as he explores how the conflict looks through Israeli eyes. Halevi recognizes that he and his neighbor don't understand each other's stories at all. His letters are an attempt to explain who he is, and how he understands himself, to his Palestinian neighbor.Read one chapter each week beginning June 11, then visit this facebook group for online discussion on the book with prompts participants can comment on and share thoughts. Read and interact at your own pace and schedule.
This is a great book to consider how we are in relationship with people of difference and how we may not understand our own neighbors’ stories at all. In times of polarization and division, this book about a place around the world may shine light on our own lives filled with difference.
Contact Pastor Stephen for more information.
- Art in the Grove Begins June 12!Fellowship Hall will be transformed into an artist studio on Tuesday evenings from June 12 through August 21 and you're invited! Here’s what you can expect:
- 5:30-6 pm Bring a picnic to enjoy and relax and visit with friends and family... take a walk or spend time outdoors.
- 6-7 pm Structured activities will vary from week to week, allowing participants to reflect on that week’s message. On June 12, expect an artsy icebreaker activity. On June 19, Liz Gawron will present her collage work.
- 7- 8:30 pm Work in the open studio on creative reflection using the materials offered. The studio will be open from 6-8:30 pm.
These gatherings are not just for artists, but for everyone. Art in the Grove has the potential to bring together people of all ages and walks of life, building a respectful, creative community that fosters spiritual understanding and growth. Please RSVP (not required, but greatly appreciated).
- Backpacks & School Supplies Needed by June 24
During the church school hour (9-10 am) on Sunday, June 24, we'll be assembling schooI kits for Church World Service in support of refugees, our June mission focus. Here are items needed to assemble one school kit... please drop in the designated basket in the mission closet:
- One child's backpack
- One pair of blunt metal scissors (rounded tip)
- Three 70-count spiral notebooks or notebooks totaling 200-210 pages (no loose leaf or filler paper)
- One 30-centimeter ruler (12")
- One hand-held pencil sharpener
- One large eraser
- Six new pencils with erasers
- One box of 24 crayons (only 24)
- A "Giant" Thank-You from Discovery Days
- Funeral Volunteers and Cookies Needed
Please contact Loretta Chubb to help setup, serve or cleanup at the reception following the 2 pm Friday, June 15 memorial service for Rev. George Evans. Bakers, please drop off cookies by Thursday evening. Thanks, Derry!
Did You Know?
Food Bank Sunday on the second Sunday of every month is the designated day to drop off non-perishable foods for the Hershey Food Bank... but donations are accepted any time: find collection baskets/containers at our main entrances. Here's a list of the Hershey Food Bank's most-needed items.