When the full story is not visible, click on a headline to read more.
- Baptisms on March 11
Congratulations to Jeremy and Kathryn Siegrist and big brother Noah on the baptism of Jett Alexander, and to Stephanie and Mike McKenna on the baptism of Evelyn Grace. Evelyn's big brothers are Torrin and Callum. Welcome to the family!
- February 2018 Session Highlights
- Received the Treasurer’s Report and Staff Reports.
- Welcomed Rev. Anne Myers from the Presbytery’s Strengthening our Congregations Committee. The discussion centered on the connectional ministry of the Presbytery available to and among all churches.
- Received the 2017 Financial Audit prepared by Boyer & Ritter, LLC. There were no issues or recommendations.
- Approved Baptismal Instruction and Baptism for: Evelyn Grace McKenna and Jett Alexander Siegrist.
- Received the annual Statistical Report.
- Removed Katie McMillen Bailey from the active membership roll at her request.
- Approved a revised Charitable Purpose Lease Agreement with Love INC.
- Removed Derry Discovery Days as a subcommittee of Christian Education and established it as a new standing Session committee.
- Approved revisions to the employee handbook regarding personal leaves of absence and approved the absence/leave policy for Derry Discovery Days.
- Approved (retroactively) use of the church van for transportation to the Unite Youth event held on February 18 at Gretna Glen.
- Approved the collection of an offering at the March 11 Engage-Lent service.
- Approved a building use request from Francis Mohler to utilize fellowship hall for a two-week dance class in June for 12 to 25 students.
- Approved participation in a mission project on Good Friday at Christ Lutheran Church in Harrisburg for the Pilgrim Fellowship group.
- Held the annual meeting of the Board of Trustees for The Derry Presbyterian Church, Inc. during which time the following officers were elected: Greg Taylor, President; Jim Pease, Vice President. Kathy Yingst, Clerk of Session and Steven Guenther, Church Treasurer were affirmed ex officio as Secretary and Treasurer of the Corporation, respectively.
- Received and welcomed the following new members at a Called meeting on February 25: James and Karla Bennett, Ray Delo, Robbie Hoffman, Barbara Rickard, Patti Jo and David Hibshman, and Sheryl Ryan
- Engage: Lent Leadership Team
Thanks to this awesome team for leading afternoon worship for children and families on Sunday, March 11. An enthusiastic group participated in singing (and a little dancing)... art projects will soon be appearing in the display case on the ramp and in homes of our shut-in members. See more photos on facebook. Next up, Engage: Celtic on Saturday evening, May 12. Front row: Jennifer Owsley, Liz Gawron, Michelle Califf, Valerie Minnich. Back row: Steven Guenther, Kelly & Craig Barth, Pastor Stephen and Luke Gawron.
- Shawl Ministry Celebrates 13th Anniversary
On Monday night Derry’s Shawl Ministry celebrated its 13th year of service and blessed its 1,450th shawl. Through the years participants have also made and blessed 194 dorm blankets for our high school graduates as well as dozens of baptism blankets for babies and adults. Thanks to all who have knitted and crocheted through the years to create so many beautiful and comforting items, and to those who have supported the ministry behind the scenes with donations of yarn, money and supplies. And thanks to Derry’s fantastic Deacons who deliver the completed shawls. Pictured here are some of the more than 30 members who participate in the ministry. Seated: Joan Theal, Pam Whitenack, Lorraine Russell, Sue George. Standing: Karen Carns, Chris Gawron, Robbie Hoffman, Chris Bevins and Heather Kegerise.
- Family Promise Meals Needed!
Family Promise of Harrisburg Capital Region will be returning to the Hershey Adventist Church on Chocolate Avenue during the week of March 25. Volunteers are needed to transport the families and provide evening meals. To take a meal, sign up at takethemameal.com (last name: Promise, password: Derry). To volunteer to drive the van, sign up online. Questions? Contact Jane Robertson (717-439-0830). Thanks, Derry!
- Coin Return on Sunday, March 18
Remember to bring your Change 4 Children coins with you to church on March 18 to be collected at the end of morning worship. Change 4 Children goes to Alliance for Children Everywhere which believes education is an integral part of the commitment to support healthy and sustainable families and communities. Cecilia Mvula just fulfilled her dream of working in a medical clinic with the economic support for high school and college provided by ACE. She even volunteered at the House of Moses during school breaks.Do you have foreign coins that you no longer need? Please bag them separately and they’ll be donated to UNICEF’s Change For Good by Derry member and American Airlines pilot Brian Montgomery.
When you return coins, please make sure that your bag is free of paper clips, guitar picks, stray bits of metal, buttons, and anything that isn’t legal tender: these items clog the coin sorting machine. The next collection will be in June, so keep on gathering those coins.
- G.O.D. Squad Spring Work Day RESCHEDULED: April 28
The March 24 work day has been CANCELLED. Instead, join the Gardeners Of Derry (G.O.D. Squad) 8 am - 12 pm Saturday, April 28 to mulch the church grounds. Lunch provided. Bring rakes & shovels! Contact Tom & Nancy Kitzmiller
- Welcome Back, Jackie!
Our director of Youth Ministries is back in the office following her maternity leave. You can reach her at email@example.com or 717-533-9667 to say hi and welcome back, find out more about the youth program, or ask to see photos of son Frankie, the newest addition to the Lerch household.
- Note of Thanks from Interfaith Shelter
Dear Congregation of Derry Church,
Thank you for inviting me to speak on February 25 and for your generous donation of $3,000. The church was aesthetically beautiful and you were very warm and welcoming. Your willingness to give to those who are less fortunate demonstrates great love and humility, which are qualities Catholic Charities seeks to uphold.We thank you for thinking of the Interfaith Shelter in such a special way. Your kind generosity will bless our families. I would like to extend an invitation to come visit the shelter and see who we are and what we do. Your kindness and generosity is deeply appreciated.Lisa Peck, Program Director
- 13th Annual Pierogi Dinner: March 24
4-7 pm Saturday, March 24 at Christ Presbyterian Church, Lebanon. Pierogies served in butter and onions with sauerkraut, peas, applesauce, rolls, drink and dessert. Take-out available. Adults $8.50, children (5-12) $5.00, free for children under 5. Orders of two dozen or more must be pre-ordered by March 19: 717-507-0735.
Did You Know?
Food Bank Sunday on the second Sunday of every month is the designated day to drop off non-perishable foods for the Hershey Food Bank... but donations are accepted any time: find collection baskets/containers at our main entrances. Here's a list of the Hershey Food Bank's most-needed items.